Cost: $125. Discounted price for AMTA members: $75
Incorporating GarageBand, a digital audio workstation, into music therapy practice is an innovative way to address client goals. Learn how to utilize and incorporate GarageBand into clinical practice, using both the iPad and MacBook computer. Practical tips will be shared, and attendees will be able to create their own projects in small breakout groups using GarageBand. Access to GarageBand is recommended but not necessary. Note: This e-course was first offered at the 2021 AMTA National Conference as Add-on Course K. It was recorded for later viewing and access.
This e-course is pre-approved for 3 Continuing Music Therapy Education (CMTE) credits.
This course is eligible for LCAT CE Contact Hours (the same number of CMTE credit hours specified above) for continuing education for Licensed Creative Arts Therapists (LCATs) in New York State. AMTA is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed creative arts therapists. #CAT-0055.
- Learning Objective #1: Participants will be able to use GarageBand to design at least two music therapy interventions to address client goals. (CBMT Domain III. A. 5. x.)
- Learning Objective #2: Participants will be able to identify at least three features of GarageBand that could be used in recording projects. (CBMT Domain V. A. 7.)
- Learning Objective #3: Participants will be able to identify at least two ways to record client progress using the features of GarageBand. (CBMT Domain III. B. 2.)
Schedule (Breaks were scheduled for the live presentation but may not be recorded.)
- 5 minutes - Welcome: presenter background and experience with GarageBand digital audio workstation on iPad and MacBook computer.
- 50 minutes - Overview: designing music interventions in GarageBand within music therapy domains. Explain features of GarageBand: editing and mixing musical elements, looping, layering, adding instruments, recording live instruments, adding effects, and importing music from iTunes.
- 10 minutes - Break
- 45 minutes - Small breakout groups: attendees will create an intervention for a client using GarageBand on either iPad or MacBook. Presenters will be available to assist attendees using the technology in breakout rooms on Zoom.
- 10 minutes - Break
- 30 minutes - In depth discussion: attendees will discuss implications for using and adapting the intervention for specific client needs.
- 20 minutes - Discussion: clinical considerations for the use of GarageBand in music therapy and how to record client progress using features in GarageBand.
- 10 minutes – Attendees to complete required course evaluation
Once you purchase this item, you must download the e-course workbook with instructions and links for listening to or watching the course. Go to the AMTA website and log in on the left side using the QuickLink, “My Account>Login.” After logging into your AMTA online account with your primary email and password, go to the top tab “My Transactions,” and the “My Downloadable Products” link, then click on the item to open it. Save to your local computer. This purchase will remain available in your account for one year from the purchase date.
Note: The cost of each e-course purchase entitles one individual to participate in and complete the e-course for CMTE credit. If a course is being purchased for multiple individuals, it must be purchased separately for each participant. Please email the national office if you are purchasing a course for someone other than yourself so credit can be applied to that person's record.