nVNS: From Headache to FDA EUA for Asthma Exacerbations and Reduced Airflow Associated with COVID-19
Date: September 15, 2020
Time: 12Noon EDT – 1:00pm EDT
Presenter: Peter S. Staats MD MBA – electroCore CMO
Intended Audience: Physicians, Nurses and NP’s, PA, Respiratory Therapists, OT/PT, Patient Advocates
Description: Known as the “great wandering protector” of the body, the vagus nerve is the longest cranial nerve which runs from the brainstem to the colon and innervates multiple organs along the way. In 2010, a technical breakthrough was achieved with non-invasive Vagus Nerve Stimulation (nVNS), which for the first time offered the ability to non-invasively stimulate the vagus nerve in the neck, avoiding the need for surgery. nVNS is a portable, easy-to-use treatment that can be self-administered by patients, as needed, without the potential side effects associated with commonly prescribed drugs.
- Review and understand the scientific and clinical basis of nVNS for the treatment of headache. nVNS is FDA-cleared in adults for:
- Acute and preventive treatment of migraine
- Adjunctive use for the preventive treatment of cluster headache
- Acute treatment of pain associated with episodic cluster headache
- Review the scientific foundation and clinical data that supported the issuance of an EUA by the FDA. The EUA was issued for use in the acute treatment of adult patients with known or suspected COVID-19 who are experiencing exacerbation of asthma-related dyspnea and reduced airflow, and for whom approved drug therapies are not tolerated or provide insufficient symptom relief as assessed by their healthcare provider.
Presenter Bio: Dr. Staats was the founder of the Division of Pain Medicine at Johns Hopkins University, where he was the director for 10 years. He is internationally recognized for his work in developing and implementing minimally invasive procedures for chronic pain, and his patents have led to the use of novel pharmacologic agents (Qutenza patch).
Dr. Staats received his medical degree from the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor and completed his residency and fellowship training at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He is a past President of the North American Neuromodulation Society, American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, New Jersey Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, the Southern Pain Society, and a founder of electroCore. He is currently President Elect of the World Institute of Pain and continues to serve as Chief Medical Officer for National Spine and Pain Centers, the largest pain practice in the United States.
Dr. Staats has written or co-edited 10 books and over 400 articles, abstracts, monographs, and book chapters on pain medicine in publications that include the Journal of the American Medicine Association, Pain, Anesthesiology, and the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Note: This is a 2 step registration process. Once you register through this system, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to register for the webcast on the GoToWebinar platform.