The demand for GIS leadership training is higher than ever. In the Spring of 2020, URISA GIS Leadership Academy faculty re-tooled to optimize delivery for instructor-led online GIS leadership training. The inaugural Virtual URISA GIS Leadership Academy took place during the week of August 3-7, 2020 to extremely positive reviews. And we did it again in November 2020 and in April 2021. All virtual GLAs reached capacity in a few days.
A few responses from attendees who were asked for the 'greatest takeaway' from the GLA:
- Engaging with professionals in interesting and fun conversations, learning from amazing instructors, and adding beneficial tools to my toolbox. The best leadership conference!
- My biggest take away was the steps I need to follow in order to build a thriving GIS department.
- There are too many take-aways to list. It seems like this course has been in this virtual format for many years. The instructors presented material that was excellent and they really pushed the students to interact and think of realistic scenarios throughout the entire week. Very beneficial course for any GIS professional especially one that is either pursuing a leadership role or currently in one.
- The team building/management aspect. Personally, the best part was that it got my pumped to start focusing more on the management aspect of my job!
The curriculum emphasizes best practices and skills-based training taught by GIS experts committed to preparing others for leadership in managing challenges and figuring ways to help groups and organizations achieve their goals. As with the in-person program, attendance at the GLA earns substantial GISP® Education Points.
The days are long but are interspersed with frequent breaks and a lunch hour each day (to keep up with home and work obligations), breakout rooms and team exercises to keep things active.
Virtual GLA Schedule:
- Monday - Thursday Schedule by Time Zone:
- 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM Eastern (lunch break 2-3 PM)
- 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM Central (lunch break 1-2 PM)
- 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mountain (lunch break 12-1 PM)
- 7:00 AM - 4:00 PM Pacific Time (lunch break 11-12 PM)
- Periodic 5-10 minute breaks will be included (of course, take breaks when needed)
- On Friday, July 1, we will wrap up by 2 PM Eastern/1 PM Central/12 Noon Mountain/11 AM Pacific.
The Virtual GLA requires Zoom meeting capabilities. Each day includes frequent scheduled breaks, a lunch hour and optional networking events at the 'Virtual Lounge'. Virtual class size will be limited to 50 individuals.
Cancellation & Refund Policy: All cancellations must be received in writing (via e-mail) on or before June 13, 2022 in order to receive a refund, less a $100.00 processing fee. After June 13 2022, cancelled registrations will not be refunded nor applied to future conferences. There will be a $50.00 administrative fee for the swapping of Registrants.