Sunshine Card Home | Sunshine Card Policy | Library Staff Page | Library Staff Contacts
Reciprocal Library Use and Borrowing Policy Agreement
The SEFLIN Sunshine Library Card (Sunshine Card) program provides reciprocal borrowing among academic, public, and school libraries in Palm Beach County, Florida. The libraries participating in this program are members of SEFLIN and agree to the terms of this policy. Library participation in the program is voluntary. This policy identifies eligible users of the Sunshine Card and specifies the responsibilities of participating libraries.
The libraries participating in the Sunshine Card program endeavor to:
- Collectively leverage their library resources for the benefit of their communities
- Minimize restrictions on the use of their library resources, while recognizing the nature of the resources, the existence of licensing and use agreements imposed on the resources, and the mission of each participating library
- Provide reference services to library users as a vital component of resource sharing
Eligible Users of the Sunshine Card
Sunshine Cards are issued by participating libraries or library systems to their own library card holders. Library card holders must meet at least one of the criteria listed below to receive a Sunshine Card from their library. The library issuing the card will verify the eligibility criteria of the person requesting the card.
- Any library user, 16 years old or older, who has a valid library card or the equivalent issued by one of the participating libraries or library systems
- Staff persons belonging to participating libraries or library systems
- Faculty members belonging to the participating libraries or institutions
- Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate high school students (of any age) who have a valid library/media center card or the equivalent. The Sunshine Card will be issued only by the designated Sunshine Card administrator from the participating school system/district.
Responsibilities of Libraries Participating in the Sunshine Card Program
SEFLIN member institutions participating in the Sunshine Card program agree to:
1. Issue Sunshine Cards to their library users who qualify for a card as specified above.
2. Honor the Sunshine Card when it is presented at their library by a qualified card holder.
3. Recognize that library use policies and procedures at the library where users present the Sunshine Card will be in force.
4. Record the issuance of each Sunshine Card through a form available on SEFLIN’s Sunshine Library Card Web site (www.seflin.org/sunshinecard/) and report the issuance to SEFLIN.
5. Designate a single point of contact for the administration of the Sunshine Card Project. The contact will be available to other participating libraries for consultations and assistance with Sunshine Card related issues.
6. Cooperate with the libraries honoring Sunshine Cards when action is requested regarding delinquent accounts that are traceable to the use of Sunshine Cards. The library issuing the Sunshine Card may also take action according to its own guidelines and procedures.
7. Assume responsibility for the costs associated with damaged or unreturned materials traceable to the use of Sunshine Cards issued by the respective library. The library issuing the Sunshine Card will take responsibility for the costs related to replacing materials belonging to other participating libraries that are damaged or not returned.
Penalties and fines for the late return of materials will be imposed in accordance with the guidelines of each library honoring the Sunshine Card, respectively.