Are You Asking Yourself These Questions?
- We haven’t had a technology plan up to now, and things seem fine. Why change?
- There’s not enough money to add new equipment, so why should we even bother with planning for technology?
- Let’s just continue to deal with technical issues as they arise.
- It’s easier to “go with the flow” and buy new technology when we have some extra funds.
- The city’s (or county’s or school district’s) IT department handles technology for our library, so we don’t need to worry about it.
Then This Training is for YOU!
Creating and implementing a technology plan can help your library stay current and lead to increased funding for technology in your library. Most importantly, a solid technology plan can help you create an environment that truly meets the needs of the community your library serves. Lofty goals? Maybe so, but this is 100 percent true. Having a plan will allow you to prepare for the future instead of merely reacting to technology crises. Determining the technological needs of the library and its users will equip you to better allocate existing funds.
During this training series just for SEFLIN, participants will develop and work to implement a custom technology plan for their library or department with the guidance of Diana Silveira, author of the newly released book Library Technology Planning for Today and Tomorrow. Attendees analyze the library’s current technology, understand their community and staff needs, develop a budget and create a practical, comprehensive plan for them to implement. This training series will consist of :
- a face-to-face workshop on January 23rd, 10-1, Broward County Library, South Regional/ Broward College Library, 7300 Pines Blvd Pembroke Pines, FL 33024
- 5 live online sessions each focusing on an aspect of developing a plan (Feb. 7, Feb. 21, March 7, March 21, April 4 (10 – 11:30 Eastern)
- Individual guidance from Diana Silveira to assist each participant with their plan
As a result of this training series participants will:
- Create a technology plan for their library that can be shared with their users and their governing authority.
- Gain a foundation in technology planning, technology management, and technology assessment.
- Increase their knowledge of, and experience in using, specific tools and processes to help them manage library technology. These tools will be geared particularly toward small public libraries or library branches.
Who should take this training series? The training series is designed for administrators and IT Staff at small academic and public libraries as well as individuals running a department or branch within a larger system. This training series is limited to staff of Florida libraries.
About the presenter
Diana Silveira is a librarian and president of Novare Library Services where she works with libraries to develop, implement and utilize technology effectively. Previously she worked at the Tampa Bay (FL) Library Consortium and the Charlotte Mecklenburg (NC) Library. She has an MLIS from UNC-Greensboro and a BS in psychology from Catawba College. Her book Library Technology Planning for Today and Tomorrow is available through Amazon and Rowman & LIttlefield
See a detailed training syllabus HERE