Crushing, Communication, Compliance. What we don’t know…
Dr. Elizabeth M Pickney DHA, MSN, NEA-BC. RN-BC, ASQ-CQA
Dr. Oscar L Chien MD Geriatrics, Internal Medicine, Primary Care
Dr. Charles Perry Kemp Pharm D FASCP NHA
Description: Join us for three unique 17 minute presentations which will briefly discuss the challenges around crushing medications and communication gaps among HCP in a hospital system, USP 800 guidelines, the NIOSH list of hazardous drugs and complying with the new and existing guidelines. We will also discuss treating dysphagia, patients with swallowing issues, with the first and only FDA approved liquid spironolactone CaroSpir.
- Dr. Perry Kemp, PharmD will discuss USP 800, NIOSH and the need for the nursing staff to communicate to the pharmacists on any patient who needs a liquid form and not to take it upon themselves to crush the medication.
- Dr. Pickney reiterate the importance of communication/documentation between the pharmacy physician and nursing staff.
- Dr. Chien discussing the impact of nursing staff and the pharmacy when he is not notified of any patient who cannot swallow and may need a liquid medication.
Following this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Understand the new guidelines of USP 800
- Learn the significance of the NIOSH list and how to navigate it
- Importance of treating Dysphagia
- Treating the appropriate patient with an approved liquid formulation
- Importance of communication throughout the patients care continuum and the existing gaps
Virtual Platform: GoToWebinar
Target Audience: Health care providers across VA, with focus on those treating patients with dysphagia in LTC facilities; and affiliated with Geriatric Research and Education Centers GRECCs
Date: Thursday, September 15, 2022
Time: 12:00pm EST
CME/CE: 0 hrs
Important: This a 2 step registration process -
After registering on this site, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions to register with GoToWebinar to receive your logon instructions and calendar reminder. If you don't receive confirmation email...check your spam/junk folder.
This webinar is sponsored by: