Conflict in the workplace is either unhealthy or healthy. Unhealthy conflict can be managed and even decline using assessment and process methods that are proven. Sometimes conflict occurs when normal working styles are seen as unhealthy rather than as normal ways of being that can be used to build productive working relationships.
In this half-day course, participants learn methods to assess the type of conflict being faced and methods to diffuse and move beyond the conflicts to produce organizational results working together. As part of the session, participants will work through individual conflict situations applying the methods to see how they build to resolve and manage the kinds of conflict that are not productive.
At the end of this class you will be able to:
- Recognize what escalates and de-escalates conflict.
- Learn and be able to choose among conflict resolution styles.
- Recognize destructive and constructive behaviors and communication skills.
- Review how to use the power of results-oriented trust behaviors and relationship building.
- Use understanding of normal working style differences to influence in new ways.
- Practice a conflict resolution process including identifying mutual gains and focusing on desired outcomes.
Topics that will be covered:
- Defining Conflict, Conflict Styles, and Sources of Conflict
- The Path Escalating and De-escalating of Conflict
- Levels of Intensity: Differences, Misunderstandings, Disagreements, Discord, and Polarization
- Basic Anatomy of Emotional Reactions
- Destructive and Constructive Behaviors
- Constructive and Destructive Communication Skills
- Normal Working Style Differences
- The Role of Trust, Relationship Building, and Apologizing
- Guiding Principles for Conflict Management
- Using Mutual Understanding and Outcome Directed Thinking
- Conflict Resolution Process
Prerequisites: New or experienced front-line supervisors and any level of manager who wants to learn more about how to become more confident and proficient at managing conflicts to get better organizational results.
Advanced Preparation: There is no advanced preparation for this course.
Competencies: Conflict Management
Delivery Method: Group-Live
Program Level: Basic
Recertification Credit Hours: 3.5
Specified Credit Hours: HR
“The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.”
Professional Development Credits awarded: 3.5
||AAIM Employers’ Association is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
Recommended CPE Credits: 4
Fields of Study: Personal Development, Communications
Duration: Half-day: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Member Cost: $307; NonMember Cost: $407
For more information regarding refund, complaint and/or program cancelation policies, please contact AAIM’s Research and Solutions Team at 314-968-3600.